Task 1: Read the piece about Henry Ford and answer the questions
- What is Henry Ford famous for?
- When was Henry born?
- What did Henry love when he was young?
- What is the Author’s purpose for this writing piece? (Persuade, Explain, Entertain, Describe) Why do you think this?
- Write down 5 events in Henry Ford’s life in the order in which they occurred:
- What does ‘accessible’ mean in the 5th paragraph? Highlight in the text where it hinted at the definition.
- What was the name of the car he released in 1908?
- In 1908, why did people want to buy his cars?
- What happened when his cars became very popular very quickly in 1908?
- Explain what an assembly line is:
- How was an assembly line better or worse than the how cars were first made?
- If each paragraph had a heading, a good heading for the second paragraph would be ‘Ford’s Early Life’. Create a heading for the 5th paragraph:
Task 2: Work your way through the interactive links:
Today you are going to write a procedural text on
HOW TO MAKE A SANDWICH
(it can be any kind of sandwich that you know how to make)
Follow the template below and fill in the sections to write your procedural piece about making a sandwich
- Write your Title – tells readers what your procedure is about
- Write your Aim/Goal: tells what you are going to do
- Write your materials/equipment/ingredients: You must tell the reader EXACTLY what they need and how much.
- Write your method (steps in order) this needs to be very clear and concise. Tell the reader EXACTLY what they need to do and in what order. DON’T MAKE ANY ASSUMPTIONS! Be sure to number the steps!
- Write your conclusion: tells what the final result is and whether the goal was achieved.
|Goal (How to)|
To solve equivalent number sentences involving multiplication and division.
I know that both sides of a balanced equation need to be the same.
I can find out what the equation needs to equal.
I can use the inverse operation to find a missing number.
- 14 + 2 = __ ÷ 2
- 17 + 7 = 4 x __
- 10 ÷ __ = 35-33
- 24 – 6 = __ x 9
- __ ÷ 5 = 2 + 6
- __ x 7 = 21 + 7
- 80 ÷ 10 = __ x 2
- 14 ÷ __ = 20 – 13
- 34 – 28 = ___ ÷ 4
- 3 x ___ = 5 + 10
- 20 ÷ __ = 26 – 22
- 16 + 14 = __ x 5
Learning Intention: To use substitution to solve algebraic equations.
Success Criteria: I can identify a variable
I can substitute a variable with a given value.
I can solve an algebraic equation when given a value for a variable.
I apply the order of operations when solving algebraic equations.
Step 1: Watch the screencast on substitution Substitution
Step 2: Complete Task 1
Step 3: Solve the codebreaker.
- If x =2 and y = 8 then solve the following:
- x + y =
- 2x + y =
- xy =
- 4x + 2y =
- 4y =
- x + 3y =
- 3x + xy =